OCTTC awarded Sport England National Lottery funding
Wed, 31 Mar 2021 00:00
Great news! We've been awarded Sport England National Lottery funding for our "Back to Bat" project getting everyone back to playing table tennis.
Back to Bat will run over 24 weeks from 18 May, with plans to:
- Schedule 6 x 1 hour sessions per week over three tables, with separate sessions for Beginners, 55+, and Open to all. (We expect numbers to stay restricted due to coronavirus.)
- Train supervisors to use the TT robot
- Offer 2 additional hours per week in 30 minute time-slots for players who are vulnerable or cautious about returning to play, with one or two tables and a coach or supervisor on hand
- Offer 1 hour per week of additional one-to-one and small group coaching for social players needing to re-learn skills
- Buy 10 court surrounds + storage trolley for Grace Church
- Continue to subsidise sessions to avoid increasing player fees, which could be a deterrent to return
- When possible, work with Cheney School to restart Wednesday evening table tennis sessions, which attract different players.
- Organise a free open day in the summer, with the robot and different table tennis activities
- Encourage players and OCTTC teams to enter any Oxford summer competitions, e.g. a new 2AS league or Ping! Oxford Summer Series, or run our own.
The project is due to start on 18th May, and we'll be doing a quick player survey shortly to hear what you'd find most helpful when play restarts.